Guwahati News Desk: The Haitian officials declare on Tuesday, that the death toll from the deadly weekend earthquake has risen to 1,941.
The devastation caused by the recent earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2, is centered on the country’s southwestern area, where health care has reached its capacity and the people have lost their homes and loved ones.
Moreover, on late Tuesday afternoon, the Civil Protection Agency also raised the number of injured people to 9,900, many of whom have had to wait for medical help lying outside in the wilting heat.
In a statement, the US military’s Southern Command said it was moving eight helicopters from Honduras to Haiti and that seven US Coast Guard cutters were on the route to support the USAID team.
Meanwhile, two cutters were already there along with two Coast Guard helicopters and US Navy P-8 Poseidon aircraft that were taking aerial images of the earthquake devastated areas.
The Public information officer for the Fairfax Co. (Virginia) Urban Search and Rescue, John Morrison, said its team was still trying to find survivors.
As bodies continued to be pulled from the rubbles, more and more fear entered into the people’s hearts, and their patience was seen to be running out.
The UN spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, told the media on Tuesday that the organization had disbursed $8 million to its agencies so that they could get supplies they need immediately. He said the UN is “playing a leading role”supporting Haiti, but added that“the government has the primary responsibilities.”
Meanwhile, the officials have said that the recent 7.2 earthquake has destroyed more than 7,000 homes and damaged nearly 5,000, leaving about 30,000 families homeless. Even, several hospitals, schools, offices and churches were demolished or damaged severely.
Furthermore, in addition to the chaos caused by the earthquake, the Haitians had already been struggling with the coronavirus, gang violence, worsening poverty and with the assassination of President Jovenel Moise, on July 7.