Guwahati News Desk: Malaya Neog from Tinsukia has won the title of 4th Master Foodie Assam 2021. The contest was organized by Foodie Assam which was supported by DVRS India.
In conversation with Hello Guwahati, Malaya Neog shared about her love for food and experiences she collected while learning the culinary tricks
1) What’s your first memory of your love for cooking?
We used to have very friendly neighbours during our stay in one of the apartments in Guwahati. Every other day somebody or the other would share their special dishes, which my children love it and always look forward to. This made me realize that I can also prepare the same dishes if I know the recipe. So I started learning from them, their special dishes and started preparing the same. I also started experimenting with different ingredients which were appreciated by all and my love for cooking developed.
2) What’s your favourite dish to cook?
My all-time favourite dish is chicken for sure.
3) Your winning recipe or dish?
Cooking Pork with bamboo shoot in Naga style is my winning recipe.
4) Where do you draw your creative inspiration from?
I am blessed to be surrounded by many different ethnic tribes with their delicious, colourful and healthy food habits which always inspired me to do great in cooking. I also learn many new things with the help of internet to upgrade myself while staying at home.
5) What four ingredients are necessary for your kitchen?
Salt, chilli, turmeric and onion are must in my kitchen.
6) If you could prepare a meal for anyone, who would it be and what would you make?
I would love to treat Birina Barooah Phukan ba with a sumptuous meal of Nocte spicy boiled kochu (taro root).
7) Are there any foods you just don’t like?
I am not very fond of mutton.
8) If you are in hurry but you have to make dinner for guests then what would you make?
A simple dal, rice, vegetable boil with chicken (if the chicken is available) otherwise a vegetable curry with the omelette.