Guwahati News Desk: The shallow earthquake that struck southwestern China on Thursday, ended up killing three and injuring dozens.
The quake struck Luxian county before dawn on Thursday.
According to the US Geological Survey, the magnitude of the quake was at 5.4 but the China Earthquake Networks Centre measured it at magnitude 6.0. Both put it at a shallow depth of 10 kilometres (six miles).
Informing about the death toll, Luxian authorities said, “three dead, three seriously injured and 57 slightly injured”.
The deputy chief of the Sichuan Earthquake Administration, Du Bin, said, “It is unlikely there will be a larger earthquake in the area in the near future, but aftershocks will continue for some time.”
Dozens of houses in Luxian were reduced to rubble and many others were damaged. Multiple electricity lines were disrupted and 62,000 households were hit by power cuts after the earthquake. Traffic on highways passing through the area were rerouted in order to make way for emergency vehicles and to avoid damaged roads. The students were also forced to evacuate their dormitories in the dark earlier on Thursday.
Local media published images of collapsed ceilings in a hospital as residents milled around in the streets after warnings not to return indoors.
Meanwhile, the rescue workers rushed to lift people from beneath the rubbles, moving them out of damaged buildings on stretchers.
In addition, at least 10,000 people have been moved into emergency shelters.
Moreover, Thursday’s quake came months after a series of strong earthquakes shook sparsely populated areas in northwest and southwest China in May, killing at least two people and injuring dozens.
Photo | Reuters