Bhaswati Das: Indian Rum Cake is the Indian version of Christmas Fruit Cake that combines spices like cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg with candied fruits to give this fruitcake a unique Indian flavor.
Ingredients for Rum Cake:
1. 1 cup of all-purpose flour (maida).
2. 1 cup of butter.
3. 1 cup of sugar.
4. 2 eggs.
5. 1 tsp mixed spices. (cloves, cinnamon and ground nutmeg) or 1 tsp of all spice powder.
6. 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.
7. 1 tsp vanilla essence.
8. 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional).
9. 2-3 tbsp of caramel.
10. A pinch of salt.
Ingredients for Caramel:
1. 1/2 cup of sugar.
2. 1/2 cup of water.
Instructions to Make Rum Cake:
1. Mix the butter and sugar well until the mixture is light and creamy.
2. Add the eggs one at a time.
3. In a mixing bowl add flour, spice mix, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Fold in the butter mixture alternatively.
4. Sprinkle a tbsp of flour to the chopped fruits and mix them lightly and set aside.
5. Add vanilla, almond extract and caramel to the cake batter.
6. Lastly add all the dry fruits and stir them in.
7. Place the cake batter in a greased baking pan.
8. Bake it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 45 mins or until the toothpick inserted in it comes out clean.
9. Allow the cake to cool and store it for 3 -4 days in an airtight container before serving.
10. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream.