Guwahati News Desk: The Education department of the government of Assam announced a major restructuring of the school education system in line with the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020. The secondary school department confirmed the conclusion in an official statement dated December 14. The statement explained the steps made to improve education in line with the NEP 2020.
“The matter relating to the restructuring of school education system from 10+2 to 5+3+3+4 pattern for governance and implementation under National Education Policy, 2020 has been approved and the restructuring of the school education system must be done,” it said.
The following are the important topics underlined in the notification:
- As per the National Education Policy, 2020, the school education system would be reorganized from the present 10+2 pattern to a 5+3+3+4 pattern.
- The Directorate of Elementary Education will oversee the Foundation Stage, which includes three years of pre-school education in Classes I and II, as well as the Preparatory Stage, which includes Classes III, IV, and V.
- The Directorate of Secondary Education, which will now be named as Directorate of School Education, will oversee the Middle Stage, which includes Classes VI, VII, and VIII, and the Secondary Stage, which includes Classes IX, X, XI, and XII.
- For administrative reasons, the new structure of 5+3+3+4 will be operationalized on January 1, 2022, and for academic purposes, it will be implemented in the Academic Year 2022-23.
- In order to design detailed modalities on Anganwadi Education, a committee comprised of officials from the Education Department, Health and Family Welfare Department, WPT and BC Department, and Social Welfare Department will be constituted (i.e Pre-School Education).
The following will be the terminology for reformed school education:
- Assam’s Directorate of Elementary Education 3 years of nursery school (1+2) is the foundational stage.
- Preparatory Stage at Buniyadi: (III, IV and V) Assam’s Prastuti Directorate of School Education
- Stage Three: (VI, VII and VIII) Madhyamik
- Secondary Stage: Uccha Madhyamik (IX, X, XI, and XII)