Bhaswati Das: Jackfruit is a healthful source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and some other essential vitamins and minerals.
Five Benefits of Raw jackfruit:-
1. It can help you reduce weight.
2. It can help you beat diabetes.
3. It helps reduces cholesterol.
4. It can prevent colon cancer.
5. It increases your longevity.
Now let us prepare the ingredients for sabji;
- 2 cups raw jackfruit (kathal) cubes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1 small stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 4 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 3 bayleaves (tejpatta)
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
Combine the jackfruit with turmeric, 1 tablespoon of oil and a little salt in a deep bowl, mix gently and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Put the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves in a pressure cooker and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds. Add the onions, ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, coriander powder, cumin powder and chilli powder mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Add the marinated jackfruit mixture and salt sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Add 1½ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Open the cooker and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Now serve hot & have it with rice or roti.