Guwahati News Desk: A World Health Organization (WHO) team visiting China to investigate the origins of coronavirus in the city of Wuhan has been denied entry.
One out of the two teams has now turned back and the other is in transit in a third country. According to the WHO, the lack of visa clearances is the main issue.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he was “very disappointed” that China had not yet finalized the permissions for the team’s arrivals “given that two members had already begun their journeys and others were not able to travel at the last minute.”
“I have been assured that China is speeding up the internal procedure for the earliest possible deployment,” he told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday, explaining that he had been in contact with senior Chinese officials to stress “that the mission is a priority for WHO and the international team.”
Beijing in December approved the probe after many months of negotiations with the WHO. The virus was first detected in Wuhan in late 2019, with the initial outbreak linked to a market.