Birina Barooah Phukan, Bangalore: This curry is made of Sri Lankan roasted curry powder, coconut oil, coconut milk and some dry spices.
Serves : 3 persons
Cooking time : 55 minutes
Ingredients for Sri Lankan Roasted Curry Powder:
½ tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp raw rice
½ tsp black mustard seeds
2 green cardamoms
½ tsp fennel seeds
For the Chicken:
3 pieces Boneless chicken
4 cloves Garlic (grated)
1 Onion (Sliced)
1 tbsp Sri Lankan roasted curry powder
1 ½ tsp Red chili powder
½ tsp Turmeric powder
Salt as per taste
150 ml – 200 ml Water
3 ½ tbsp Coconut oil
½cup Coconut milk
Few curry leaves
1. Roast all the ingredients required for making the Sri Lankan roasted curry powder (ingredients mentioned above). Once done, grind it using a grinder.
2. In a heated pan, roast the Sri Lankan curry and chilli powder for a few seconds.
3.Marinate the chicken pieces with the roasted spices, salt and grated ginger & garlic. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
4.Finely chop the onions and green chillies.
5. Pour 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Add the finely sliced onions, a pinch of salt and a few curry leaves. Fry them for sometime
6. Once the onions become tender and pink in colour, add the marinated chicken pieces, turmeric powder, salt as per taste and green chillies.
7. Cover the lid and cook in sim for10 mins. Keep stirring frequently. Once the chicken becomes a little dry, add water and cook in low flame till the gravy reduces to half of the amount.
8. Add the coconut milk, cook in sim for about 10 mins without covering the pan with lid till it is done.
9. Serve it hot!