Bhaswati Das: This delicious and exotic dessert Moong dal halwa is a favourite sweet dish of Indians especially in this festive season.
- 1 cup moong dal (yellow dal), soaked
- 1 cup of sugar
- A generous pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup ghee
- 3/4 cup of khowa/ mawa, crumbled
- 10-12 almonds, sliced
- Soaked the moong dal for 1/2 hr. Then drain and grind the moong dal coarsely using very little water.
- Prepare one-string sugar syrup with the sugar and 1 and 1/2 cups of water. Soak the saffron in hot milk.
- Heat the ghee in a thick-bottomed non-stick pan and add the moong dal and saute, stirring continuously, over low heat till the dal turns golden brown. This process takes time and patience.
- Add now sugar syrup and saffron-favored milk. Stir till they are thoroughly incorporated and the halwa is dropping consistency. Add khoya/mawa and cook till dissolves.
- Decorate with almonds or green cardamom (optional).
- Serve hot.